[webkit-dev] support for navigator.cores or navigator.hardwareConcurrency

Rik Cabanier cabanier at gmail.com
Wed May 7 15:15:25 PDT 2014

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Oliver Hunt <oliver at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 7, 2014, at 2:41 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > When would I as a user, not want a page or web application to be as fast
> as possible? Has a user ever complained about a desktop app that uses too
> many of his CPU's? I think Oliver's point was that other processes might
> fight for the same CPU resources but that is not unexpected for users.
>
> What happen if i go to your website while i'm doing something else in the
> background?  What if i'm playing a game while waiting for my machine to do
> something else? What if your page is in the background? Or my battery is
> running low.

Sure. However, a page can already do this today.
This will just give the author a way to make a semi-informed decision.
Without this, he might just spin up too many threads and starve the rest of
the system.

> You need to stop thinking in terms of a user wanting only one thing to
> happen at a time.

I'm not sure if I follow. How would this be any different from a regular
desktop application?