[webkit-dev] support for navigator.cores or navigator.hardwareConcurrency

Rik Cabanier cabanier at gmail.com
Mon May 5 18:13:28 PDT 2014

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Simon Fraser <simon.fraser at apple.com> wrote:

> It allows attackers to know even more about my system, exposing more data
> for fingerprinting.

People can already approximate this today. Approximations are fuzzy so this
might hurt performance if you're not a popular platform or change how the
browser implements workers.

> Do you really want a page to know that you have a  fancy-pants 24-core Mac
> Pro rather than a little Mac mini?

Yes!
If I have 24 cores ready to do work and the page can put them to use, I
would like it to do so.
At the same time, if I just have a old mac mini, I don't want the page to
launch 24 workers as that will exhaust my memory and cause contention.