[webkit-dev] Tracking WebKit changes needed documentation

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sun Mar 9 11:07:08 PDT 2014

On Sunday, March 9, 2014, Frédéric WANG <fred.wang at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was discussing with some Mozillians at the MDN work week end and we were
> wondering how to keep track of changes in WebKit that require some
> documentation. For example, the Mozilla Bugzilla system has some keywords
> like "dev-doc-needed" and "dev-doc-complete" that MDN people can use to
> generate pages like

The closest thing we have is WebExposed keyword. We aren't great about
adding that keyword to every Web facing features but it should be
sufficient to monitor bugs with that keyword in the ideal world where
everyone remembers to add that keyword to relevant bugs.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/MDN/Doc_status/CSS

> so that people in charge of the documentation know what they must document
> or update.
>
> In particular, we mentioned the case of MathML in WebKit for which new
> attributes/elements are currently being implemented and the browser
> compatibility tables will need to be updated e.g.
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/MathML/Element/
> mo#Browser_compatibility
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/MathML/Element/
> mspace#Browser_compatibility
>
> At the moment, I suggested to rely on the "WebExposed" keyword to find
> these kind of changes, but I'm not really sure what is the particular
> policy for that keyword to be set. For example, can I add this "WebExposed"
> keyword when I implement new MathML features? Other than MathML, are other
> new features systematically tagged with that keyword?

WebExposed is the keyword we should be using for this purpose to the extent
things that aren't exposed to the Web should be considered as
implementation details.

Do you have any suggestion for Bugzilla parameters that could help MDN
> people (and that the administrator of WebKit Bugzilla should add if
> necessary)? For example a keyword similar to "dev-doc-complete" to indicate
> when the documentation is done or to "target milestone" to indicate in
> which Safari version the changes will happen?

WebKit is an open source browser engine, and it's not tied to any
particular Web browser although many active contributors work for Apple.

Since Apple doesn't comment on future products (including but not limited
to whether a given feature is included in the next version of Safari if
such a thing ever exists), I don't think we can track something like that
on Bugzilla.

- R. Niwa

--
- R. Niwa