[webkit-dev] CDMi interface for EME?

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Jun 10 12:36:51 PDT 2014

> On Jun 10, 2014, at 11:40 AM, Brendan Long <self at brendanlong.com> wrote:
>

> On 06/10/2014 12:51 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> But I don’t think we’d want to support pluggable CDMs as an extension point on any of Apple’s ports (which is the whole point of CDMi), only the ones we support already. So the question is whether there are any other WebKit ports that would like to support pluggable CDMs.
> Do you mind me asking your reasoning for this? Are CDMs easy enough to implement that it's not worth making them usable in multiple browsers? Or maybe you already have all of the CDMs you care to support?

We have no current plans to make it an extension point for Mac or iOS Safari or for other WebKit clients. We don’t like binary plugins of any kind, and content providers seem satisfied with what we can offer as built-in CDMs (for example, see <http://techblog.netflix.com/2014/06/html5-video-in-safari-on-os-x-yosemite.html>). So we don’t see the value proposition of allowing third-party CDMs to be plugged in.

If you disagree with that stance and have a specific use case, feel free to submit that feedback via bugreport.apple.com or to Apple Developer Relations. It is not really a suitable topic to debate on webkit-dev.

Other WebKit ports may feel differently, and may want an interface to plug in third-party CDMs. That is up to them. I don’t have any objection to other WebKit ports using this mechanism, I’m just reporting that it wouldn’t be especially useful to us.

Regards,
Maciej