[webkit-dev] Expose scroll elasticity/rubber band scrolling in the Desktop as a CSS property?

Marco Aurelio marco.aurelio at automattic.com
Fri Jun 6 10:52:54 PDT 2014

Hi there,

I just noticed that WebKit now apparently supports "rubber band" scrolling
of Web pages beyond their physical boundaries, including negative
`scrollTop` values, that effectively render content above the top edge of a
page.

This is a welcome change, since it gives the pages a much more native feel
overall on OS X. (Instead of the previous gray background on rubber band
scroll) I would like to ask if it's possible to expose control over this
feature as a proprietary CSS property, so that Web developers may apply
this behavior to arbitrary elements in a page.

An analogous property already exists on the iOS port of WebKit, the
`-webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch` property, but perhaps something
matching the semantics of the `NSScrollElasticity` enum in Cocoa — with
values like `auto`, `none` and `allowed` — could be added?

Thanks!