[webkit-dev] Comment on the bug & email author/reviewer before reverting a patch

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Jul 9 19:46:46 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Brady Eidson <beidson at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2014, at 4:45 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>
> Since webkitbot doesn't automatically post the details as to what failures
> the patch caused, and one line description is almost never adequate (e.g.
> needs a hyperlink to buildbot page, test failure diff or error log, et
> c...), I don't see how using webkitbot in its current state could ever be
> adequate.
>

> "This patch is a candidate for being rolled out because the build-bots
> have conclusively indicated it as breaking the build.  Please take a look
> within ~3 hours of this bug being filed or I will cq+ the rollout. The
> description of the build failure and details on why I think this patch
> broke things can be found here:
> http://build.webkit.org/details/for/the/breakage"
>
> That can be told to webkitbot today.  Is that not sufficient?  If not, why
> not?

While the information provided here is sufficient, that would create a bug
with the whole thing in its title.  And we don't normally put text such as
"I'm rolling out your patch in 3 hours if I don't hear back from you" in
the bug title itself.

Granted, this is something that could be improved.  If someone could make
that improvement, it would be incredibly useful.  Unfortunately, I don't
think we're living in such a world where we can rely solely on webkitbot to
do everything for us.

- R. Niwa