[webkit-dev] Subject: Windows CE port in WebKit: status, future work

Anders Carlsson andersca at apple.com
Fri Jan 31 15:45:13 PST 2014

On Jan 31, 2014, at 1:36 PM, Patrick Gansterer <paroga at paroga.com> wrote:

> On 31.01.2014, at 22:10, Anders Carlsson <andersca at apple.com> wrote
>
>> looks like the last legitimate commit to the Windows CE port was on November 3rd November 2013, almost 3 months ago.
>
> What's the minimum upstream interval for downstream fixes to show ongoing activity?

I don't think we've ever discussed such a thing, but when a project has no activity for three months people are going to start to wonder; it's happened in the past without anyone responding so thanks for doing that!

>> I also seem to remember that there’s no version of MSVC for Windows CE that can handle the C++11 features that we now use in WebKit. (Correct me if I’m wrong on this!)
>
> Windows Embedded Compact 2013 updated the compiler for CE.

That's great news.

>> With this in mind, does it make sense to keep the Windows CE port in the tree or should we remove it?
>
> Does it hurt somebody in the daily workflow? If yes, where exactly?

I don't think it has affected anybody's daily workflow seriously. If it does in the future we can cross that bridge when we get to it.

Thanks,
- Anders