[webkit-dev] Merging back the jsCStack branch

mhahnenberg at apple.com mhahnenberg at apple.com
Mon Jan 27 18:00:45 PST 2014

Hello WebKitters,

The JavaScriptCore team is planning on merging back our temporary development branch (at http://trac.webkit.org/browser/branches/jsCStack) that we’ve been working on for the past couple of months.

The primary features that this branch will bring to trunk are:

(1) JavaScript code in JavaScriptCore now runs exclusively on the C stack. Previously JavaScriptCore made use of the C stack only for calls into its C++ runtime, and it used a separate custom stack data structure for execution of compiled JavaScript code. Now it’s all C stack all the time. This work was primarily in support of the next feature...

(2) More FTL goodness. The FTL already existed in trunk, but the most recent bleeding edge work has been done on the branch since that work depended on the other C-stack-related work. It will still be behind #ifdefs, and it won’t be compiled by default.

The plan is to merge back early tomorrow morning so that if there are any major issues they won’t cause any significant impact. I’ll be available via IRC and email to help with any problems. Let me know if this plan doesn’t work for you.

Thanks!
-Mark