[webkit-dev] When to use "auto"? (I usually consider it harmful)

Alex Christensen alex.christensen at flexsim.com
Sat Jan 4 07:14:07 PST 2014

Call me an extremist, but I would be in favor of a complete ban on auto. I've been involved in another project deciding to not use auto at all. It forces programmers to be explicit and careful, it shows the effects of type changes with compiler errors (exposing bugs better), and it's easy to enforce with no debate. It's easy for me to gloss over types when reading code if I don't care, but I don't like relying on a specific IDE feature for information that should be grepable.  I fix a lot of code I didn't write, and I request that if we allow auto at all, that it be used sparingly in the guideline and in the reviewers' decisions.

Alex Christensen