[webkit-dev] Web Components development will continue in a branch in near future

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Sat Feb 15 16:07:32 PST 2014

Hi all,

Now that we've removed all of the existing shadow DOM implementations from
trunk in http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/164131, I'm intending to work on
new web components implementations in a branch based on the feedback Apple
has given on public-webapps and www-style in near future, probably starting
with custom elements.

I'd like to implement them in a branch to not inadvertently introduce
performance regressions.  The old implementation on trunk resulted in 5%
overall slowdown in the page load time but we didn't quantify that until we
removed the feature entirely last year.  That's probably because the
feature was added over years as a pile of small changesets each of which
introduced immeasurably small performance regressions.  Development in a
branch allows a faithful performance comparison between the two.

- R. Niwa