[webkit-dev] Proposal: Remove ENABLE(SVG)

Steven Coul (scoul) scoul at cisco.com
Tue Feb 4 05:20:40 PST 2014

I agree, the time taken to build is not really a good reason for the change or lack of - as you point out there, are many other ways to optimize the build process/server which will have wider benefits.

But does anybody consider size to be an issue? SVG adds a fair chunk to the size of a binary - especially in debug builds - which is not very friendly to embedded systems.

( Real embedded, not just a small form factor $500 PC running Windows etc )

I know in general WK seems to be aimed at desktop, big mobile etc - and we tend to ignore anything not directly related to the the main builds, but even on a desktop I wouldn’t mind seeing a crusade to make things smaller. One day I’ll see my whole OS in L1 Cache……..

Steve "Harry" Coul
scoul at cisco.com