[webkit-dev] Announcing WebKit for Wayland

Žan Doberšek zandobersek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 09:49:15 PST 2014

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Žan Doberšek <zandobersek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Gyuyoung Kim <gyuyoung.kim at webkit.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> > Do you know what are the plans for GTK and EFL?
>>
>> As far as I know, EFL community has tried to support wayland. Thus some
>> folks of WebKit EFL port seem to plan to support the wayland based of EFL
>> support when it is ready.
>

> Basically same goes for the GTK+ port -- we mainly rely on the toolkit to
> properly support the Wayland protocol.
>
> Despite that we must deploy a few custom solutions for specific problems.
> For instance, in order to efficiently transfer the composited results from
> the WebProcess to the Wayland compositor we are planning to use a nested
> Wayland compositor in the UIProcess to relay that data to GTK+.
>
> First implementations of this approach ended up blitting the rendered data
> onto the Cairo surface of the relevant GtkWidget. To make things worse, the
> surface was using shared memory, and had its data invalidated completely
> whenever the GtkWidget had a redraw queued. This meant that

... a whole lot of data was being sent to the parent compositor for each
update of the widget, which obviously caused problems on weaker embedded
systems running in 1080p resolution.

Luckily in the last few months GTK+ finally received support for drawing
OpenGL content in GtkWidgets, so the final implementation will be much more
efficient.

Cheers,
Zan