[webkit-dev] Subject: Windows CE port in WebKit: status, future work

Osztrogonác Csaba oszi at inf.u-szeged.hu
Fri Aug 29 04:42:02 PDT 2014

Hi,

Patrick Gansterer írta:
> On 31.01.2014, at 22:10, Anders Carlsson <andersca at apple.com> wrote
>
>> looks like the last legitimate commit to the Windows CE port was on November 3rd November 2013, almost 3 months ago.
>
> What's the minimum upstream interval for downstream fixes to show ongoing activity?
>
>> I also seem to remember that there's no version of MSVC for Windows CE that can handle the C++11 features that we now use in WebKit. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this!)
>
> Windows Embedded Compact 2013 updated the compiler for CE.
>
>> With this in mind, does it make sense to keep the Windows CE port in the tree or should we remove it?
>
> Does it hurt somebody in the daily workflow? If yes, where exactly?
> I'm still working on getting rid of WebKit/wince by merging it into WebKit/win (with only a few #if WINCE) to reduce the impact of the WinCE port, but it's hard if there is nobody who finds time for reviewing patches. :-/ (e.g. webkit.org/b/119518 or webkit.org/b/123803 waiting for months - but I don't want to blame somebody by this!)

The last commit from WinCE maintainer was on 20th November 2013,
9 months ago - https://trac.webkit.org/changeset/159534

Since then other contributors landed 41 changes touched WinCE files:
https://trac.webkit.org/search?q=wince&noquickjump=1&changeset=on

Do we have any benefit if we keep these crufts in the trunk?

br,
Ossy