[webkit-dev] How do I find a WebView's desired size?

Daryle Walker darylew at mac.com
Mon Aug 11 15:55:54 PDT 2014

This is for implementing the windowWillUseStandardFrame:defaultFrame: method on OS X, which enables the green button to do an optimized zoom.  How can I find out what height and width a WebView wants to be if it had infinite screen space?  If it negotiates the size instead, assume that the maximum width is X and height is Y (which I would compute within windowWillUseStandardFrame:defaultFrame:).  These views have scrollbars within their window, so they must have an internal notion of what size they want to be.

This has to work whether or not the WebView is showing either HTML or anything else.

Asking a similar question on the Cocoa list, a respondent lamented that web browsers these days just punt on the question and go full screen.  I don’t want to do that.

—
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie
darylew AT mac DOT com