[webkit-dev] Remove CANVAS_PATH compiler flag where possible

Rik Cabanier cabanier at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 20:09:03 PDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Dirk Schulze <krit at webkit.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask to remove the CANVAS_PATH compiler flag from WebCore
> where possible. At the moment it guards the Path2D object and all related
> methods in Canvas like:
>
>     void fill(Path2D path, optional CanvasWindingRule winding);
>     void stroke(Path2D path);
>     void clip(Path2D path, optional CanvasWindingRule winding);
>
> Firefox and Chrome will ship with Path2D enabled in the next release
> versions. WebKits implementation is interoperable with Firefox and Chrome.
>
> The only method on Path2D that just reached consensus but does not ship in
> other browsers is addPath(Path2D, optional SVGMatrix?). The risk that it
> will change in an not interoperable way is minimal.

However, at the moment I would like to guard it behind a compiler flag and
> implementations shouldn’t ship with it within the next couple of weeks.
> Alternatively, I can remove the IDL method in favor for removing the
> CANVAS_PATH compiler flag completely.

Yes, even though the API might not change, some of the language in the spec
needs to be cleared up. For instance adding a path with 2 lineto to a path
with a moveto and a lineto, will according to the spec result in moveto,
lineto, MOVETO, lineto, lineto which is unexpected.