[webkit-dev] WTF::fastMalloc

Zoltan Horvath zoltan at webkit.org
Mon Sep 30 19:41:45 PDT 2013

Hi Geoffrey,

I used to work on memory related topics, while I was working on the
University of Szeged.

Based on a 2.5-year-old measurement (
http://webkit.sed.hu/blog/20100302/war-allocators-qtlaunchers-coast) on the
Qt-port, the page loading on the Methanol test suite was 5% faster (avg)
with TCmalloc than the default system allocator on Linux. The performance
results of the SunSpider suite was similar for both allocators. The memory
consumption was always lower with the default os allocator.

I guess the new allocator only has iOS support. I'm fine with removing
TCmalloc, although this direction might raises further questions, like
removing the custom allocation framework also. Feel free to cc me on bugs,
I can help by contributing some patches.

Cheers,
<Zoltan>