[webkit-dev] Invalid file committed on the Webkit tree for windows

Van Den Berghe, Vincent Vincent.VanDenBerghe at bvdinfo.com
Fri Sep 20 02:15:47 PDT 2013

Hello,

When doing an SVN update to get the latest WebKit tree on Windows, I get the following error:

Failed to run the WC DB work queue associated with
'C:\cygwin\home\vvdb\WebKit\LayoutTests\fast\hidpi\resources', work item
193377 (file-install LayoutTests/fast/hidpi/resources/image?test.png 1 0 1 1)
Can't move 'C:\cygwin\home\vvdb\WebKit\.svn\tmp\svn-9BDA1924' to
'C:\cygwin\home\vvdb\WebKit\LayoutTests\fast\hidpi\resources\image?test.png':
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

The reason is that "image?test.png' is not a valid filename on Windows. What's worse, after this error the "svn cleanup" doesn't work anymore because SVN tries to undo something that can't be done by definition.

The only way to restore the local tree to a valid state is either (1) restore it from a backup, or (2) find the entry in .svn/wc.db (which is an sqlite database) and remove it manually.
There should be a way for these kinds of problems to be prevented or corrected as soon as possible (being able to "svn update" is kind of a fundamental thing). I can't even patch because my tree is invalid :(.

Please advise (or be advised).

Vincent