[webkit-dev] Changes in QtWebKit development

Andreas Kling akling at apple.com
Sat Sep 14 09:21:49 PDT 2013

On Sep 14, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde at carewolf.com> wrote:

>> When "modules" of Qt are put on "maintenance", it is basically a synonym
>> to "it's unmaintained, just let it die". I am very unexcited about
>> having one of those in the tree along the live development from everyone
>> else.
>> It is unfair for all the ports who put real efforts in the WebKit
>> opensource project.
>
> Previously modules put in maintenance in Qt were already dead because we had
> lost the developers during business transitions. This is different, QtWebKit
> is still being actively developed and we still have the developers, even if
> the primary focus has changed.

If you were to approach the WebKit project today with a new port with the
size and scope of QtWebKit/Linux, asking for it to be upstreamed, we’d be
unlikely to accept it.

> That said, in all likelihood the Qt port will not remain part of WebKit
> forever, ...

(This being the main reason.)

Since you already know you’re eventually going to leave, you could just move
to a branch sooner rather than later. It’s unreasonable to expect WebKit to
accommodate a port that has no forward-looking interest in the project.

-Andreas

PS. For the record, I cut my teeth on the QtWebKit port, and I’m sad too. :|