[webkit-dev] Changes in QtWebKit development

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Fri Sep 13 10:22:39 PDT 2013

On 9/13/13, 4:50 AM, Albisser Zeno wrote:
> As many of you have probably noticed already, we have recently been
> focusing on a project called Qt WebEngine. Our WebKit efforts have
> therefore been reduced significantly over the past weeks.
> While we will keep shipping QtWebKit with Qt for the foreseeable
> future, we want to concentrate our efforts on Qt WebEngine.
> Therefore we are planning some changes to our development setup. In
> particular we are planning to remove our QtWebKit/Mac and
> QtWebKit/Windows builds from WebKit trunk. We will keep maintaining
> these platforms in a separate branch through the Qt project's gerrit
> infrastructure.
> This essentially means our presence in trunk will be reduced to
> QtWebKit/Linux.
>
> We are planning to gradually implement the required changes within the
> next month.
> If this proves to bring significant issues for some development,
> please do let us know and we can sort out a way to work together on a
> phase-out process.
This is sad.

When "modules" of Qt are put on "maintenance", it is basically a synonym
to "it's unmaintained, just let it die". I am very unexcited about
having one of those in the tree along the live development from everyone
else.
It is unfair for all the ports who put real efforts in the WebKit
opensource project.

Realistically, how much development will go in QtWebKit/Linux? Why does
it stay in WebKit trunk if the two other ports are "maintained" in a branch?

Benjamin