[webkit-dev] Announcing new port: Nix

Thomas Fletcher thomas at cranksoftware.com
Thu Sep 12 08:43:29 PDT 2013

Oliver Hunt wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2013, at 6:38 AM, Thomas Fletcher<thomas at cranksoftware.com>  wrote:
>> TDLR: Crank Software Supports a NIX port
> This is a question of maintenance burden.  As Geoff said every port adds a cost to developing and maintaining webkit.  You've said you support a NIX port, but a quick search doesn't show any contributions from you or crank software (very quick so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) so it's hard to see what this "support" entails.

As I mentioned in my post, most of the work that we have done for our
customers entails bringing WebKit into
embedded systems for custom products with custom CPU's and custom
rendering technologies.  These are
generally not re-contributable items because they are not generally
accessible to others outside of a very
specific domain.

Additionally, we work on slimming down and removing features from WebKit
so that it  can operate in these
environments more effectively.  Discussions on this list have shown
repeatedly that the WebKit community is
not interested in 'notching out' functionality (ie adding ENABLE'ments)
to make the project more customizable
since it potentially diminishes the WebKit brand.  Fair enough, that's
the project's position.

Our support at the moment can be nothing more than ideological, however
should an NIX port become mainstream
then it would provide us with a public avenue to direct our energies
towards since most of the ports that we
have done would align well with using NIX as a base.

While I am not at liberty to disclose our complete customer base, I can
say that we have been working since 2008
with WebKit initially using the OWB "fork"  then moving to mainstream
WebKit as the OWB work folded.
Our customer's include automotive OEM and Tier 1 suppliers, consumer
electronics producers, set-top box
and gaming console device manufactures.

True .. you won't see a log of commits from @cranksoftware.com but we
are here and have a significant body