[webkit-dev] Announcing new port: Nix

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Wed Sep 11 20:25:49 PDT 2013

> The most recent effort from our side is to provide WebRTC support.

Great. Features, like performance improvements and bug fixes, are a great way to contribute to WebKit.

> As it was pointed in the first email of this thread and by Hugo's
> email, Nix "targets whoever wants to have a hardware accelerated
> WebKit2 port on UNIX-based devices, with a minimum effort”.

Yes. I read that email. Then I asked who “whoever” was, and the answer was “nobody”.

My position is simply this: Every port has a cost, so every port needs at least a prima facia explanation of its corresponding benefit.

If the NIX port is what gets you guys excited about WebKit, and the end result is a great implementation of WebRTC, that’s great.

But, six months from now, if the NIX port still has no adopters, and the only activity it brings to WebKit is the occasional rude email from Ossy, that’s not so great.

Geoff