[webkit-dev] Proposal: Use ICU in WebKit code

Patrick Gansterer paroga at paroga.com
Mon Oct 7 17:05:20 PDT 2013

On 07.10.2013, at 18:28, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2013, at 1:34 AM, Patrick Gansterer <paroga at paroga.com> wrote:
>
>> On 05.10.2013, at 19:13, Brent Fulgham wrote:
>>
>>> The WinCairo port is as close to the AppleWin port as possible. It uses ICU and I have no intention of changing that.
>>>
>>> The WinCE port is maintained by Patrick Gangsterer. I believe that this port does not want to use ICU, preferring to use the limited subset of i18n features provided by the operating system.
>>
>> That's correct, but I think that changing the current API to ICU and implement some stub functions instead is a good idea.
>> Can we put the source code of this "dummy-ICU" somewhere into the tree?
>
> Sure, seems fine to have it in the WebKit tree, presumably alongside or inside WTF. It’s really the same thing as what’s in wtf/unicode right now with some different function names. Mostly it would be moving that code inside functions with new names.
>
> What we need is a road map.
>
> I know how to change WebKit to use ICU directly, and how to test that both on my own Mac and the EWS and buildbot machines, but I don’t know how to test and figure out exactly how many of these stub functions are needed, even for a port with a buildbot but especially for one without.
>
> Patrick, to state the obvious, if it really is only the WinCE port that would this, then I think it’s a project we need your help on.

I'd suggest that you do your thing by kicking out the WTF-Unicode and replace it by the ICU functions. Maybe you can think about where the dummy functions can live and I'll do the rest. I don't want to block anyone with this, but it would be great if someone feels "responsible" for reviewing my patches then. :-)

-- Patrick