[webkit-dev] Proposal: Use ICU in WebKit code

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Sun Oct 6 12:42:22 PDT 2013

I think the question was about the performance impact of using UTF-16 as
an internal representation of characters.

The original claim was in effect that the encoding conversion to UTF-16
is so costly that it offsets any gain of doing codepoint operations on
UTF-16 instead of UTF-8.

It is a very strong claim because experiments so far have proven the
opposite. I think the statement against ICU/UTF16 needs to be backed by
experimental data.

Benjamin