[webkit-dev] AX: Implement CSS -webkit-alt property (text alternative for generated content pseudo-elements ::before and ::after)

Christian Biesinger cbiesinger at chromium.org
Wed Oct 2 11:46:36 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 8:26 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM, James Craig <jcraig at apple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Follow-up question:  Since this hasn’t made it into the CSS4 spec yet,
>> should we temporarily use “-webkit-alt” for the property name? I know there
>> has been a push to move away from vendor prefixes lately, so if there are no
>> objections, I propose we use the unprefixed version.
>

> I think that's what Mozilla and Google are doing but I don't think we
> necessary have to follow the suit.

FYI, because IMO this is an important clarification - Mozilla and
Google use unprefixed versions only *behind a (runtime) flag*, until
the spec is stable. That way experimental features are not exposed to
the web at large until it is unlikely that the spec will change, to
avoid cross-browser compatibility risks.

-christian