[webkit-dev] PSA: WebKit2 and DrawingAreaImpl

Alejandro Garcia Castro alex at igalia.com
Wed Oct 2 11:00:45 PDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 09:49:23AM -0700, Anders Carlsson wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2013, at 11:29 PM, Sergio Villar Senin <svillar at igalia.com> wrote:
>
> > On 02/10/13 03:19, Anders Carlsson wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I just wanted to let everyone know that we (Apple) are moving away from
> >> DrawingAreaImpl and always using our tiled drawing area.  Longer term
> >> we’d like to remove DrawingAreaImpl completely since it was designed
> >> back when we didn’t run in accelerated compositing mode all the time.
> >>
> >> It’s my understanding that all the other non-mac ports use coordinated
> >> graphics now, and so the logical step would be to create a special
> >> DrawingArea subclass for coordinated graphics and move the relevant
> >> code there.  That’d allow us to remove DrawingAreaImpl and
> >> LayerTreeHost.
> >
> > GTK is not using coordinated graphics, we do WebProcess compositing.
>
> I see. Are you ever not in accelerated composited mode?

Yes, we do enter accelerated composited mode when required, it is not
activated all the time.  I did not check that code in quite some time but we
had planned to try a tiled solution at some point, we just did not have the
time to do it up until now, your proposal is a good excuse to push the task.

Regarding activating accelerated compositing all the time we will have to
check if we have any users that would care about it, considering this is not
going to happen tomorrow we can start with work and on the process check if
we should add something.  Please add me to any of the bugs you open and I'll
try to check the code to help with that.

Thanks for the heads up.

Alex