[webkit-dev] The SrcN responsive images proposal

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Mon Nov 4 19:42:57 PST 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Elliott Sprehn <esprehn at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

>>> Can you explain what this optimization is? It's difficult to figure out
>>> how to address your issues without knowing what optimization it prevents.
>>>

>> I'm not sure if I wasn't clear here but I'm saying that having an upper
>> bound of 9 or 99 would address the concern of not being able to implement
>> the particular optimization we're considering.
>>

> Yeah; what optimization do you plan to implement though?

There are many optimizations you can implement if the number of parsed
attributes is bounded at compilation time, and that's all I can say.

But the bigger issue is that src-N resembles no other content attribute we
have as others pointed out on this thread.

While the picture element proposal had issues of having to deal with source
elements being added or removed dynamically, at least authors are familiar
with the pattern.  src-N is worse in that it's both complicated and foreign
to authors as well as existing tools as Mike pointed out.

- R. Niwa