[webkit-dev] The SrcN responsive images proposal

Yoav Weiss yoav at yoav.ws
Mon Nov 4 14:04:18 PST 2013

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM, Yoav Weiss <yoav at yoav.ws> wrote:

>>> Just because it was not a big problem in one engine, it doesn't mean it
>>> won't be in other engines.
>>> If we're supporting src-N attributes in WebKit, I'd like to see N to
>>> have a small upper bound; e.g. 10.
>>> so that we can enumerate all parsed attributes statically at the
>>> compilation time.
>>>

>> Out of curiosity, what would be the benefits of such a restriction?
>>

> We're considering to implement an optimization that takes the advantage of
> parsed attributes being a finite set at the compilation time.
>
> Having this feature will make it much harder to implement such an
> optimization.  Note that data-* attributes don't need to be parsed since it
> doesn't synchronously update Element's internal states.
>
> - R. Niwa

Will setting the limit on the number of possible attributes at 99 still
enable that optimization?
Many people (on the RICG's IRC and on Blink-dev) feel that setting the
limit to 9, even if it'd be enough today, leaves fairly little space for
future evolution. Setting it to some random number between 10 and 99 feels
arbitrary to me. So, will 99 be OK with you?