[webkit-dev] When should I use AtomicString vs String?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri May 31 16:32:07 PDT 2013

We shouldn't use AtomicString if the string we're about to create doesn't
get shared across multiple AtomicStrings.

For example, if we had used AtomicString for the strings inside Text nodes,
then we may end up filling up the atomic string table with all these really
long strings that don't typically appear more than once.  It also slows
down the hash map look up for all other atomic strings.