[webkit-dev] Could it be possble to run WebKit from different threads (not simultaneously)?

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Mon May 27 15:19:47 PDT 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Pedriana, Paul <ppedriana at ea.com> wrote:

> > It's straightforward to get this mostly working, probably a matter of
> weeks. Given our
> > experience with iOS I would say that getting it to work reliably is
> probably a multi-month
> > or even multi-year project for a determined team with multiple WebKit
> experts.
>
> That's for enabling it to run in multiple threads at separate times? I
> wouldn't think #1 and #3
> would be a problem for us, as we have tight control on our side over when
> WebKit is entered.
> It's not clear to me at this point what we would need to do about
> AtomicStringTable and its usage.

One AtomicStringTable is defined per thread and is stored in thread local
storage.
You can get an idea of the way we deal with that by looking at the code
guarded with USE(WEB_THREAD).

But that is only one of many, many things we had to solve. I second Darin
that using WebKit2 reduces the surface exposed to threads and would
simplify your work.

Benjamin