[webkit-dev] Moving WebCore/accessibility code into WebCore/platform/

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue May 21 11:17:54 PDT 2013

On May 21, 2013, at 11:14 AM, Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org> wrote:

> For me that rule was more about asking people to think twice and add the proper abstraction when possible.
> We do not want style checker warnings, which becomes a motivation for creating better abstractions.
>
> For example, recently a second implementation of some of DOMFileSystemBase was added for blackberry (most if it is an exact copy of the common code).
> With a style checker warning, the author would have had to justify this kind of decision (and hopefully fix the code instead).

Again, I think in theory this is good, if it drives people to create the abstractions we need to keep our code from being littered with too literal #ifdefs.

But instead the style checker warning is pushing at least some folks to move classes into the platform directory that do not belong there, just to avoid the warning, likely creating layering violations and misusing the platform library.

Further, I am seeing this warning often when I do refactoring patches.

I think what we did in the style checker is not a good enough way to communicate the nuance of how we do this. We need a document with a statement of principles about the platform approach to refer people to. And perhaps an approach that gives a warning rather than a style error that points to that document.

— Darin