[webkit-dev] Vertical Selections in Textareas

Glenn Adams glenn at skynav.com
Thu May 16 15:13:39 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> I think it’s a neat idea. It’s a big, challenging project. The first step
> is probably to add the notion of a selection that is not a single DOM
> range. There are many, many functions that currently have that assumption.
> I don’t have a lot more specific feedback to add.

In bidi and certain complex script contexts, support for "visual order"
selection instead of "logical order" selection requires assuming that more
than one underlying (i.e., DOM) range may be associated with the visual
selection. Some word processors allow the user to select which selection
mode is to be used.