[webkit-dev] Compiling WebKit up to 25% faster in Windows?

Brent Fulgham bfulgham at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 12:05:03 PDT 2013

Hi Daniel,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Daniel Bratell <bratell at opera.com> wrote:

> As an experiment we took the (chromium) project webcore_dom, that normally
> compiles in 56 seconds in Windows on a generic computer and "fixed" it.
> Removing the many include paths in the build system and instead specifying
> the path in the include directives changed that to 42 seconds, a 25%
> reduction.

I thought that much of this was supposed to be addressed by the use of
precompiled headers.  Presumably, if the header files are properly
incorporated into the PCH, shouldn't any gains from relative paths be
small? Obviously your statistic says otherwise, but I'm not sure that a
single test on a single system is definitive proof of anything.

Did you run the test multiple times to get a feel for how reproducible the
improvements was? I know I have fooled myself in the past into thinking I
had improved something, only to discover that unrelated computer activity
(e.g., backups, virus scans, etc.) were contributing to slow build times.

-Brent