[webkit-dev] Fwd: Compiling WebKit up to 25% faster in Windows?

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Mar 26 13:50:31 PDT 2013

Resent from the right email address.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Benjamin Poulain <benjamin at webkit.org>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote
>>
>>> If we have consensus that we should just switch to paths relative to
>>> Source (or maybe a couple different options), that would be (IMO) a big
>>> win. It sounds like Daniel & co. have already done the big bang conversion.
>>>

>> I think using full path would be a serious hit regarding hackability.
>>
>> I would rather spend some time tweaking my compiler to cache each
>> directory content than waste time finding where is every single header I
>> need to include.
>>

> Interesting. I have the exact opposite experience, having to paw around to
> figure out where "Font.h" actually lives rather than just seeing
> "WebCore/platform/graphics/Font.h".

On TextMate or Xcode, all I need need to is to type in Font.h and they'll
automatically find the right file for me.

I'll be annoyed if people started using same filenames in multiple
directories (this has already happened :( ) because then various tools will
start listing multiple files from all those directories.

- R. Niwa