[webkit-dev] Ever increasing binary size

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri Mar 22 00:12:24 PDT 2013

Hi,

WebKit nightly build for r135421 dated November 21st, 2012 was 46.1MB.
WebKit nightly build for r145786 dated March 13th, 2013 was 49.4MB.

Our binary size increased by 7.2% in just 4 months.

Is this a problem?  I think it is. It means that we use more RAM when
WebKit is loaded onto memory. It means that it takes longer to load WebKit
into RAM. It means that auto-update, etc... various browsers that use
WebKit needs to send more data over the network.  6MB costs you a ton if
you're wiring over cellar network.

What strategies can we use to address this problem?

- R. Niwa