[webkit-dev] Best way to disable JavaScript

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Tue Mar 19 01:05:35 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:48 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> [...]
> scripts:
>
> (1) "Parser Strip" - strip scripting constructs such as <script> tags, event
> listener attributes, and javascript: URLs at parse time.
> (2) "Block Main World" - disable scripting at runtime, but only for the main
> world, and ensure that all non-page script runs in a separate isolated
> world.
>
> The message below discusses some possible implementation mistake risks of
> one approach, but I thought it might be useful to enumerate the observable
> differences in behavior between the two approaches, assuming for the time
> being they are implemented perfectly. Here is a list, without at this time
> judging which behavior is better or worse:
>
> (These all assume we're in the "scripting disabled" state)
>
> Parser Strip                            | Block Main World
> ----------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------
> Scripting constructs don't show up in   | Scripting constructs show up
> normally in
> Web Inspector                           | Web Inspector
> ----------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------
> Extensions can cause script to run in   | Extensions cannot run script in
> the main
> the main world via <script>, onfoo, or  | world.
> href="javascript:"                      |
> ----------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------
> When plugins are enabled but javascript | When plugins are enabled but
> javascript is
> is not, plugins can execute script      | not, plugins cannot execute script
> ----------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------
> When scripting is disabled only for some| When scripting is disabled only
> for some
> frames, manipulating the DOM of a frame | frames, manipulating the DOM of a
> frame
> with script disabled may cause script to| with script disabled will not
> cause script
> run there.                              | to run there.
> ----------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------
> Copying markup from a script-disabled   | Copying markup from a
> script-disabled
> frame into a script-enabled context     | frame into a script-enabled
> context may
> cannot cause script to run.             | cause script to run (unless the
> code doing
>                                         | the copying strips scripting
> constructs).
> ----------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------
> Ditto above for adopting nodes.         | Ditto above for adopting nodes.
> ----------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------
>
> That's all I can think of offhand. Are there any other observable behavior

As I wrote in my original reply, it's not possible to implement
Content-Security-Policy correctly without blocking scripts from
executing at runtime.

Another observable consequence is that moving to a parser-stripping
implementation would break a number of Chromium WebKit APIs including,
but not limited to, the following:

1) WebKit::WebPermissionClient::allowScript
2) WebKit::WebPermissionClient::didNotAllowScript

In case it's not clear from this message (and my previous messages), I
object to this change.

Adam