[webkit-dev] Spelling document markers: Design question

Rouslan Solomakhin rouslan+webkit at chromium.org
Thu Mar 14 12:09:45 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> I'd rather not add another subclass. That's even worse than
> modifying DocumentMarkerDetails IMO because this new subclass
> of DocumentMarkerDetails can't be shared among multiple markers.
>
> It seems okay for each DocumentMarker to directly have an identifier
> although we might want to if-def it depending on how big that identifier is.

I think that DocumentMarkers will not be able to share the identifiers,
because I would like a unique identifier for each DocumentMarker.

I would like to keep the options open and use a String to store the
identifier. The longest identifier that I can think up is a SHA-512 hash.
This hash is 64 bytes long, or around 100 ASCII characters in Base64
encoding. Is this identifier too large?