[webkit-dev] CSS filter behavior change - what is our policy?

Dean Jackson dino at apple.com
Thu Mar 14 11:35:29 PDT 2013

On 15/03/2013, at 4:45 AM, Noam Rosenthal <noam at webkit.org> wrote:

> How do we go about rendering behavior changes that affect features that are enabled on shipping browsers?
>
> I'm specifically referring to http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/139770
> The brightness filter is enabled by default on chrome and Safari if I remember correctly, and now pages that use brightness(0) would have their element blackened, while before those elements would have been left unchanged. This is of course "correct" so I can't claim it's a bug, but still it would break existing websites, even if not many.
>
> Do we see CSS filters as being "bleeding edge" enough where we don't care? Do we have a way to warn web developers about this? They'd basically have to check Chrome/Safari/Other version in order to work around the problem, as there's no media query for "check if brightness behaves correctly".

I think in this case it was enough of a combination of "bleeding edge" + definite bug (where bleeding edge is determined by it being a prefixed property that isn't even at the candidate recommendation stage as well has young enough to not have widespread use). But you raise a good point - I would have been more reluctant to make this change as time passed.

Dean