[webkit-dev] New web-facing canvas feature: "opaque" attribute

Gregg Tavares gman at google.com
Wed Mar 13 09:57:35 PDT 2013

It would be nice if this was the same as WebGL instead of different.
Especially because 2d canvas and WebGL need to inter-operate in the near
future.

In WebGL to create a canvas with no alpha (an opaque canvas) you do this

   gl = canvas.getContext("experimental-webgl", { alpha: false });

Why can't 2D canvas be this

   ctx = canvas.getContext("2d", {alpha: false});

As for why this is important to be the same see the proposal for Canvas in
Workers here (http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/CanvasInWorkers)

In that proposal the "backingstore" of a canvas can be moved to/from a
worker. That solution may or many not be the final solution but it points
out that whatever solution is chosen we need the solution to work for both
canvas 2d and WebGL and as such needs a common way to create backing stores
with no alpha.