[webkit-dev] Overtype mode in WebKit for editable content?

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Mon Mar 11 18:15:37 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> Having said that, I object to implementing a behavior doesn't match
> "RichEdit" or "Edit" window classes on Windows. We should match either
> native edit window class.

Are you referring to my comments about the cursor?  Do you object, then, to
other behaviors the native controls don't support, e.g. triple-click to
select all (not part of at least some versions of CRichEditCtrl, which is
why I hand-implemented it in the Chrome omnibox)?  In general, if we have a
superior way of doing something, are we to be forced to avoid implementing
it because Microsoft didn't get around to adding it to CRichEditCtrl?
 Let's argue about things like block-cursor-in-overtype-mode from a "is it
good for users" perspective, not from a "what does class XYZ that ships
with Windows do" perspective.  That's the wrong priority.

PK