[webkit-dev] Spelling document markers: Design question

Rouslan Solomakhin rouslan+webkit at chromium.org
Mon Mar 11 09:35:55 PDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Rouslan Solomakhin <
> rouslan+webkit at chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> The contextual spellcheck in Chromium needs to identify the spellcheck
>> request that added spelling markers to the document.
>>

> What is contextual spellcheck?

Contextual spellcheck in Chromium takes a sentence like "The duck says
quick" and marks the word "quick" as contextually misspelled. The
spellcheck would suggest "quack" instead of "quick". Although all words are
spelled correctly, the word "quick" makes less sense than "quack" in the
context of that sentence.

>> This information will be used to provide a feedback loop to the
>> contextial spellcheck. I was thinking about adding an ID field to
>> DocumentMarkerDescription detail. Is this a correct approach?
>>

> I'm with morrita on this one but it's hard to answer this kind of a design
> question without understanding what you're trying to achieve.

What we're trying to achieve is provide a feedback loop for the spellcheck,
so it can improve the suggestions over time. For the feedback loop to work,
we're going to assign unique identifiers to spellcheck results and store
the identifiers in markers. When the user performs any operation on a
spellcheck marker, the identifier from the marker will be used in the
feedback. User operations may include "Add to dictionary", "Always ignore",
"Select suggestion X", etc.