[webkit-dev] Making performance tests in WebKit more useful

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Fri Mar 8 02:24:08 PST 2013

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 2:15 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:

> Three major problems with existing WebKit performance tests are:
>
>    1. There are too many tests to run
>    2. Some tests have variances that are too high to be of any use
>    3. Some tests are too specific to be of any general use

If you find what differentiate the good tests from the bad tests, it would
be good to create a wiki page explaining what to be careful about to make a
good test.

One thing that have bitten my ass in the past is the JIT being smart and
removing some "dead" test code because it has no side effect. I am sure
there are plenty of mistake like this to be avoided.

Cheers,
Benjamin