[webkit-dev] Should we create an 8-bit path from the network stack to the parser?

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Thu Mar 7 09:29:38 PST 2013

Hi folks.

Today, bytes that come in from the network get turned into UTF-16 by the decoding process. We then turn some of them back into Latin-1 during the parsing process. Should we make changes so there’s an 8-bit path? It might be as simple as writing code that has more of an all-ASCII special case in TextCodecUTF8 and something similar in TextCodecWindowsLatin1.

Is there something significant to be gained here? I’ve been wondering this for a while, so I thought I’d ask the rest of the WebKit contributors.

-- Darin