[webkit-dev] Heads-up: C++11 and WebKit2

Anders Carlsson andersca at apple.com
Tue Mar 5 14:21:06 PST 2013

Hello everyone,

Some time ago we started using C++11 in the Mac port of WebKit2. In the near future we’re going to expand our use of C++11 in the WebKit2 codebase. Specifically, we’d like to make use of rvalue references and move semantics in our IPC code to avoid needlessly copying data and to give some serializable objects (such as Mach ports) better semantics.

If you’re a port that is building WebKit2, you're probably already building with a compiler that supports rvalue references; according to http://wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/C%2B%2B0xCompilerSupport, support for move semantics exists in Visual Studio 2010 and later, as well as GCC 4.3 and later (and any reasonable modern version of clang).

- Anders