[webkit-dev] New web-facing CSS feature: -webkit-cursor-visibility: auto-hide

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Mon Mar 4 17:07:38 PST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Jer Noble <jer.noble at apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2013, at 5:00 PM, James Robinson <jamesr at google.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Jer Noble <jer.noble at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 4, 2013, at 4:46 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>>
>> Could you add either build or runtime flag?
>>

>> I most definitely could.  But are there any ports who would disable the
>> flag?  (Honestly asking, here.)  If not, adding a feature flag may be more
>> trouble than its worth.
>>
> As everyone else has already stated, it's a good practice to wrap new
features behind a build flag so that we may disable the feature as needed.
e.g. your proposal needs to be modified significantly before it can be
standardized. It'll be bad if browsers with a faster release cycle (e.g.
Chrome) ended up shipping this property while such a discussion is taking
place.

The general rule of thumb is to have a build flag at least until the
specification reaches CR.

> In chromium we would like the ability to monitor and, when appropriate,
> disable vendor-prefixed non-standard CSS properties.  I think it's a bad
> idea to assume that by default all ports will want to expose non-standard
> API to the web platform without at least considering the situation and
> having a plan to remove at least the prefixed version.  Please add a flag
> and, for bonus points, hook up FeatureObserver so we can monitor usage of
> this property.
>

> Sure thing.

Thanks!

- R. Niwa