[webkit-dev] When should I use AtomicString vs String?

Brendan Long self at brendanlong.com
Mon Jun 3 15:37:52 PDT 2013

On 06/01/2013 10:09 PM, Glenn Adams wrote:
> But the name did throw me, since I asked myself "what makes this more
> 'atomic' than String, synchronicity wise"? I'm sure I'm not the only
> one who wondered about this.
Before asking this question I had assumed AtomicString was an atomic
type <http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/atomic/atomic> (as in, safe to
use in multi-threaded code). InternedString would have been more
obvious, but the biggest problem was that searching for "WebKit
AtomicString" didn't return any results that explained what it was. Now
the top hit <http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/EfficientStrings> has an
explanation, so it's not a big deal.