[webkit-dev] Do we need subpixel layout (Was: Should SATURATED_ARITHMETIC_LAYOUT be forced when enabling SUBPIXEL_LAYOUT ?)

Balazs Kelemen kbalazs at webkit.org
Wed Jul 31 15:26:09 PDT 2013

I think first we should clarify some more basic questions about subpixel
layout.
1. Is it actually mantained?
2. Do any port really need it?

Please correct me if these questions are too obvious or have been
resolved before. Note that I am not a fan of subpixel layout, neither an
enemy of it - in fact I do not know or care much about it. But from what
I know it seems like this is a feature that makes an essential
difference on the engine and I don't understand how can we allow such
huge divergence across WebKit ports. Isn't it a maintenance burden?
Doesn't it result in that test results across ports will diverge a lot more?

Br,
Balazs