[webkit-dev] Pepper and NaCl supporting (prototype)

Kapade, Mrunal mrunal.kapade at intel.com
Thu Jul 11 16:56:04 PDT 2013

>Neither NaCl nor Pepper are trivial pieces of code, they would require maintenance if they were in trunk.  If they're not in trunk then the entire discussion on webkit-dev is moot as they would (by definition) not be present in WebKit.

I agree that neither NaCl nor Pepper are trivial pieces of code and this project doesn't intend to be in the webkit.org trunk. I was part of this project at Intel where we explored porting Pepper and NaCl to WebKit2. This was the result of that effort. The purpose of announcing this on webkit-dev was to those who may be interested in working on this either upstream or as a side project can have a look at it and if useful reuse it.

>You also haven't said _why_ they're a "cool and useful technology", which was my point.  What do they provide that is not already provided by the standardized_ web platform?
>
>Taking a large pile of code, to support a platform with no obvious signs of standardization reeks of the "science experiment" concept we don't want in the tree.  I have not seen any evidence of a specification document anywhere, and without a spec document how can anyone else write their own implementation?

As I said, we don't intend to push it upstream so no question of maintenance or landing it in the tree. It's hosted on github.com and not webkit.org.

Mrunal