[webkit-dev] Exporting symbols (was Re: Common build system (was Re: WebKit Wishes))

Eric Seidel eric at webkit.org
Thu Jan 31 16:14:59 PST 2013

I believe that it's a design mistake for WebCore to need to know
anything about it's embedder, more than that there is a defined set of
platform APIs and callbacks which it talks to (which should be the
exact same for every embedder).

(The export dependency dates back to the WebCore/WebKit separation,
which in my recollection was done largely to be able to isolate LGPL
code from the non-LGPL Mac WebKit layer.)

But I believe it is a mistake that WebCore changes need to care about
the possibility that different ports may export functions differently,
or even worse, that different ports may need a different set of
functions exported.

I don't recommend using a more complicated export macro, but rather
finding ways that WebCore doesn't need to care about diverging sets of
exports.

I believe most ports (with the exception of AppleWin/AppleMac) do not
build WebCore as a separate dynamic library from WebKit, which makes
exports a non-concern in the static case.

In my perfect future world, WebCore would be split into many static
libraries, and core-code -> WebKit exports would be a non-issue.  And
of course, no embedder of core-code would ever expose core types, so
no exports would ever need to be marked.