[webkit-dev] Can we remove Notification.show()?

Jon Lee jonlee at apple.com
Mon Jan 28 02:53:10 PST 2013

On Jan 28, 2013, at 1:35 AM, Andrew Wilson <atwilson at google.com> wrote:

> So, we've recently landed some fixes to address permissions handling for Notification.show(): http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/140927
>
> Turns out, the notifications specification does not have a show() API (the notification is automatically shown from the constructor -- http://notifications.spec.whatwg.org/#api). Does anyone have any objections to moving the show() API under the ENABLE_LEGACY_NOTIFICATIONS flag to bring us under compliance with the spec?

Sounds good.

> Also, it looks like if a platform enables ENABLE_LEGACY_NOTIFICATIONs, not only do they get support for the old webkitNotifications API, but also some of the old API (like show() and cancel()) is exposed on the new Notifications objects, because we share the same interface for webkitNotifications and Notifications. Do we care (will this make it harder to eventually turn off ENABLE_LEGACY_NOTIFICATIONS since web apps may start using those APIs on the new Notifications objects)?

I expect most people look for tutorials on the web, or read the spec, rather than feel their way through a new API by inspecting the JS object. I also believe there are hardly any cases of people using the old API with the new Notification object. Once the evangelism sites have updated their code samples, it should clarify any confusion.

Jon