[webkit-dev] DOM methods that affect [[Prototype]]

Adam Barth abarth at webkit.org
Thu Jan 24 19:44:33 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com> wrote:
>> Note that WebKit re-uses the same Document after a call to
>> document.open().  I suspect we're unlikely to change that behavior
>> anytime soon.
>
> Do we know of any websites that depend on this behavior?

I haven't tested this in a while, so I might be misremembering, but
Gecko has magic to rewrite all JavaScript references to the old
document to point to the new document.  I don't know whether that
magic is required by web compatibility, but I bet it is and I don't
think we want to introduce more of that magic into WebKit.  (We do
something similar for Window today, but Window is a unique snowflake.)

Adam